This redoubt was established in December 1863 and was one of three between Pokino and Miranda on the Firth of Thames. It was the command post for the 70th Regiment.
The three redoubts were establish as the eastern flank of General Cameron’s defenses before invading the Waikato during the New Zealand land Wars.
On very short notice a force of nearly 1000 troops and officers were assembled in Auckland to become The Thames Expedition under Lt Colonel Robert Carey.
They left Auckland on the 16th of November aboard the well armed corvettes HMS Miranda and Esk and a number of support vessels carrying horses and supplies.
Nearly half of the troops were men of the 70th Regiment. This was known as the Surrey Regiment with the nickname of the Glasgow Greys. Many of the regiment had previously served in India and after their New Zealand service many later chose to be discharged here.
Surrey Redoubt was within sight of General Cameron’s Headquarters at the Queen’s Redoubt situated at the end of The Great South Road at Pokino. (Pokeno)
There is no public access to the redoubt site.