This redoubt was established in December 1863 and was one of three built between Queen’s Redoubt at Pokino (Pokeno) and Miranda on the Firth of Thames.
The three redoubts were established in December 1863 to be the eastern flank of General Cameron’s defences before he invaded the Waikato during the New Zealand land Wars.
On very short notice a force of nearly 1000 troops and officers were assembled in Auckland to become The Thames Expedition under Lt Colonel Robert Carey.
They left Auckland on the 16th of November aboard the well armed corvettes HMS Miranda and HMS Esk with a number of support vessels carrying horses and supplies.
Nearly half of the troops were men of the 70th Regiment. This was known as the Surrey Regiment with the nickname of the Glasgow Greys. Many of the regiment had previously served in India and after their New Zealand service many later chose to be discharged here.
Esk Redoubt is within sight of Miranda Redoubt on the coast, and Surrey Redoubt near Mangatangi.
There is no public access to the redoubt site.