This redoubt was established in December 1863 and was one of three between Queen’s Redoubt at Pokino (Pokeno) and the coast of the Firth of Thames.
The three redoubts were established as the eastern flank of General Cameron’s defenses before invading the Waikato during the New Zealand land Wars.
On very short notice a force of nearly 1000 troops and officers were assembled in Auckland to become The Thames Expedition under Lt Colonel Robert Carey.
They left Auckland on the 16th of November aboard the well armed corvettes HMS Miranda and HMS Esk with a number of support vessels carrying horses and supplies.
The redoubt was named after the ship Miranda.
Nearly half of the troops were men of the 70th Regiment. This was known as the Surrey Regiment with the nickname of the Glasgow Greys. Many of the regiment had previously served in India and many later chose to be discharged from service in New Zealand.
Miranda Redoubt was within sight of Esk Redoubt, 4 km to the west.
The redoubt remained active for about four years while those further inland were disbanded in 1864.
A telegraph office remained on the site for many years, providing communications to the booming town of Thames.
There is no public access to the redoubt.